• the European Capital of Culture 2012;the European Capital of Youth 2013; European City of Sport 2018
• one of the TOP 10 tourist destinations in the world according to the opinion of various media in the past few years;
• the centre of one of the fastest growing destinations in Slovenia;
• the city of the Old Vine, the oldest vine in the world, which attracts many visitors from all over the world to the Old Vine House; and
• one of the developing sports destinations for sports clubs and national teams’ preparation training camps.
• Maribor Edvard Rusjan Airport – Slovenia: 10 km;
• Ljubljana Jože Pučnik Airport – Slovenia: 150 km (less than an hour and a half drive);
• Graz Airport – Austria: 60 km (a good half hour drive); and
• Zagreb Airport – Croatia: 130 km (less than an hour and a half drive).
Maribor is a perfect base for exploring Slovenia.
From Maribor by car:
• just a good hour’s drive to Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia;
• a good two-hour drive to the Slovenian coast with Koper, Portorož and Piran; and
• an hour and a half drive to Bled and the Julian Alps.
From Maribor by train:
• approximately 2 hours to Ljubljana,
• approximately 2 hours to Bled,
• a little over 4 hours to Koper.